With the signing of the Treaty of Jaffa (February 18, 1229), the Sultan of Egypt, El-Kamel, conceded the Holy Places of Jerusalem and its surrounding territory to Frederick II for a period of ten years. The Latin clergy, refugees in Acre in 1187, returned to Jerusalem to care for the Sanctuaries and to officiate in them, just as they had done in the previous century. There is no doubt that at this same time the clergy of the various Eastern Rites recovered their previous posts. This is the first return of the crusader clergy to the Holy Places, a return obtained by means of negotiations between two high authorities.
In these two years, 1229-1230, the Franciscan Friars obtained a residency in Jerusalem in the area of the Third Station of the Way of the Cross. At that time this Station was named "of the Rest" or "of the Cyrenean".(*15)