Padre Sabino De Sandoli, ofm

Father Sabino De Sandoli (left) with Father Manns and Father Bellarmino Bagatti


Brevissima Biografia - Brief Biography

P. Sabino De Sandoli è nato a Canosa in Puglia (Italia) nel 1915. Arrivato in Terra Santa da ragazzo ha compiuto la sua formazione culturale e religiosa nei seminari della Custodia di Terra Santa. Divenuto francescano nel 1932, fu ordinato sacerdote nel 1940.
Per molti anni ha insegnato lettere classiche nei seminari della Custodia ed è stato Bibliotecario della Biblioteca Centrale della Custodia di Terra Santa, presso il Convento di S. Salvatore.

Father Sabino De Sandoli was born at Canosa in the Italian province of Puglia in 1915. He arrived in the Holy Land at a very young age and completed his cultural and religious education in the seminaries of the Custody of the Holy Land. He became a Franciscan Friar in 1932 and was ordained priest in 1940.
He taught classical languages in the seminaries of the Custody for many years and functioned as Librarian of the Central Library of the Custody of the Holy Land at the Monastery of Our Saviour.

Pubblicazioni nella Collectio Maior di Studium Biblicum Franciscanum
Publications in the Collectio Maior of SBF:

1 - Corpus Inscriptionum Crucesignatorum Terrae Sanctae - The Collection of Crusader Inscriptions in the Holy Land, Ierusalem, 1974.
2 - Itinera Hierosolymitana Crucesignatorum - The Crusaders' Journeys to Jerusalem (saec. XII-XIII):
v. I: Tempore Primi Belli Sacri - The Times of the First Holy Wars, Ierusalem, 1978.
v. II: Tempore Regum Francorum - The Times of the Frankish Kingdom (1100-1187), Ierusalem, 1980.
v. III: Tempore Recuperationis Terrae Sanctae - The Times of the Reconquest of the Holy Land(1187-1244), Ierusalem, 1983.
v. IV: Tempore Regni Latini Extremo - The Final Times of the Latin Kingdom(1245-1291), Ierusalem, 1984.
3 - Francisco Quaresmi, Elucidatio Terrae Sanctae - The Liberation of the Holy Land, 1639, Ierusalem, 1989; brani scelti e tradotti (translated excerpts).

Pubblicazioni minori - Minor Publications:

1 - Il Santuario di Emmaus - The Sanctuary of Emmaus, Gerusalemme, 1959; 2ª ed. migliorata, 1968; in francese, in inglese e in tedesco, 1966; in lingua spagnuola, 1985 (second improved edition, 1968; in French, English and German, 1966; in Spanish, 1985).
2 - Il Calvario e il S. Sepolcro - The Calvary and the Holy Sepulcher, Gerusalemme, 1974.
3 - Cento fioretti di Terra Santa - A hundred little flowers of the Holy Land, Gerusalemme, 1975.
4 - La liberazione pacifica dei Luoghi Santi nel secolo XIV - The peaceful liberation of the Holy Places in the XIV century, in italiano, francese e inglese (in Italian, French and English), Gerusalemme 1990.

Articoli principali pubblicati nella rivista "La Terra Santa"
The main articles published in the "La Terra Santa" monthly

1 - La Grotta del Latte - The Milk Grotto, 1946, p.37, p.80; 1947, p.7, p. 88.
2 - La Cappella di s. Giuseppe accanto al Santo Presepio - The Chapel of St. Joseph near the Holy Manger, 1947, p. 149.
3 - Il calendario liturgico della Palestina nei 12 mesi del 1950 - The liturgical calendar of Palestine in the 12 months of 1950.
4 - Nuovo imponente modello del S. Sepolcro realizzato a Gerusalemme - A new impressive model of the Holy Sepulcher realized in Jerusalem, 1950, p. 194.
5 - Il più antico tipo di Madonna allattante della Palestina - The most ancient type of breast-feeding Madonna in Palestine, 1950, p. 302.
6 - La decorazione crociata della basilica della Natività a Betlemme, simbolo d'unione - The crusader decoration of the basilica of Nativity in Bethlehem, symbol of union with the Eastern Church, 1965, p. 217.
7 - La parrocchia latina di Gerusalemme - The Latin Parish of Jerusalem, 1976, p.321.
8 - Il canto del muezzino - The song of the muezzin, 1980, p. 127.
9 - Il rosario dei musulmani - The Rosary of the Moslems (supplemento a "La Terra Santa" 1981, maggio).
10 - Germano, l'iniziatore d'un'antica pratica caritativa di T.S. - Herman, the initiator of an ancient charitable practice in the Holy Land, 1985, p.12.
11 - Chiesa del S. Sepolcro: chiavi, porte e portinai - The Church of the Holy Sepulchre: keys, doors and door-keepers (supplemento a "La Terra Santa" 1986, luglio-agosto).
12 - Il primo convento francescano a Gerusalemme (1230-1244) - The first Franciscan monastery in Jerusalem (1230-1244), inserto in "La Terra Santa", 1983 luglio-agosto.

In "Acta Custodiae Terrae Sanctae":

1984, p. 434: L'antico cimitero francescano del Monte Sion in Gerusalemme - The ancient Franciscan cemetery on Mount Zion in Jerusalem.
1977, p.17: La nuova biblioteca custodiale - The new library of the Custody of the Holy Land.