Visit of Pope John Paul II to the United Nations and the United States
Speeches, Homilies, and Addresses
- Welcome address at Newark International Airport, October 4
- Address at Vespers, Newark Cathedral, October 4
"Christ alone is the Lord of life and history. To him we pray."
- Greeting to the United Nations Staff, October 5
- Address to the United Nations General Assembly, October 5
"The quest for freedom is one of the great dynamics of human history."
- Homily at Giants Stadium, October 5
"The right to life is the first of all rights. It is the foundation of democratic liberties and the keystone of the edifice of civil society."
- Homily at Aqueduct Racetrack, October 6
"It is precisely through the Gospel of the Cross and through his
Resurrection that Christ lays the foundations for the advancement of
God's Kingdom in the world."
- Address at Vespers, St. Joseph's Seminary (New York), October 6
"Salvation lies not in clever human words or
schemes, but in the Cross and Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ."
- Homily at Central Park, October 7
"You are called to stand up for life! To respect and defend the mystery of life always and everywhere, including the lives of unborn babies..."
- Greeting in St. Patrick's Cathedral, October 7
- Blessing of the Offices of the Permanent Mission, October 7
- Homily in Orioles Park at Camden Yards, October 8
"The Gospel is the power which can transform the world!"
- Angelus, Orioles Park at Camden Yards, October 8
"May they draw fresh inspiration from the highest ideals
of their democratic tradition and contribute to the building of a
world of solidarity, justice and peace, a world in which everyone is
welcomed as a fellow-guest at the great banquet of life."
- Catholic Relief Services Message, October 8
"The splendor of Christ's glory is reflected in the face of
every human being, and is even more so when that face is emaciated
by hunger, saddened by exile, or oppressed by poverty and misery."
- Greeting in Baltimore Cathedral, October 8
- Departing Remarks, October 8
"Democracy needs virtue, if it is not to turn against everything that it is meant to defend and encourage. Democracy stands or falls with the truths and values which it embodies and promotes."
"America: may your trust always be in God and in none other."
- "La Iglesia es el lugar donde a los inmigrantes ilegales se les recibe como hermanos" - September 5, 1995.
- "The Pope, America and the World" - A Voice of America broadcast
Back to Christus Rex