Pilgrims who visited the Holy Land between the IV and VII century

SOPHRONIUS OF JERUSALEM (ca. 600 A.D.)
The Last Supper in the chapel of the franciscan friary

The Chapel of the Franciscan Friary

Already in 1335 A.D. the Franciscans had built a house of their own beside the Holy Cenacle, and there they stayed till 1551 A.D., when the turkish authorities deprived them of the sanctuary in favour of a Moslem cleric, Muhammad al-Agemi. Today a small chapel, not far from the Holy Cenacle, is built in a wing of a traditional Arab house, to let Christian pilgrims freely celebrate the mystery of the Eucharist as near as possible to the original site. The chapel forms part of the Franciscan friary established thereby in 1936 ("Conventus S. Francisci ad Coenaculum"). Behind the altar is shown a large bronze sculpture, by the late franciscan artist Fr. Andrea Martini, representing the Last Supper and the descent of the Holy Spirit.

back to the text

cyber logo footer
Please fill in our Guest book form - Thank you for supporting us!
Project, design, research and realization carried out by Eugenio Alliata ofm,
assistant professor of Christian Archaeology at SBF-Jerusalem.
Updated Thu, Dec 9, 1999 at 05:11 by John Abela ofm - Space by courtesy of Christus Rex
logo logo