The Sinai Desert and Egypt
141. Athribis - (Tell Athrib)
Athribis. The city is identical with Tall Atrib near Banha al-Asal. The representation shows a walled city with two towers and a red-roofed basilica apparently built upon and into the wall with an upper and a lower gate entrance. Behind the basilica we see a colonnaded street running from north to south. Athribis was one of the most important and most frequented cities of Lower Egypt, and a bishop's see since the 4th century at the latest. It is often mentioned by classical, Byzantine and Arab authors, also on the Peutinger Plates. Coptic sources tell us of several martyrs, such as Didymus, Apa Anoup, Sergius nephew of the governor Cyprianus etc. In the Middle Ages, and perhaps earlier, there was a monastery (according to others: a church) of the Virgin St. Mary who had worked miracles there. The Tetrapylon, mentioned by Coptic authors and indicated archaeologically, is not represented on the Madaba map.
Herbert Donner, The Mosaic Map of Madaba, Kampen 1992, p. 83.
See also the article: "The Representation of Lower Egypt", by Herbert Donner
For more sources and bibliography see:
A. Calderini, Dizionario dei nomi geografici e topografici dell'Egitto Greco-Romano, Cairo-Madrid-Milano 1935-1987, s.v. "Athribis", 32-33.
Map Section 10 Place Sources