The Sinai Desert and Egypt
139. Pelusium - (Tell Farama)
Pelusium, the harbor-city founded by the Persians near the ancient biblical fortress of Sin (Ez 30:15-16), was situated on the outlet of both the easternmost arm of the Nile (or the Pelusiac arm) and the artificial north-south canal opened by Sesostris. Pelusium provided the pilgrims with all the supplies necessary for the dangerous trip, as it had done for the Ptolemaic and Roman armies marching to Syria. Only part of the depiction of the city on the map has been preserved, but enough remains for us to presume to have there a hint of its sumptuous churches, some of which have been recently identified (M. Abd El-Samie, "Tell El-Makhzan", Le Monde de la Bible 82, 1993, 22.). Let us remember that the Pelusium region was itself the objective of Christian pilgrimages. Christian tradition held that the Holy Family found shelter at Tamiathin (2 miles from Pelusium) when they fled to Egypt from Herod's anger. The place was still visited by pilgrims to the Holy Land in the eighth century (Epiph. Mon. 5, 20).
Pau Figueras, "The Road Linking Palestine and Egypt along the Sinai Coast", The Madaba Map Centenary, p. 222.
See also the article: "The Representation of Lower Egypt", by Herbert Donner
For more sources and bibliography see:
A. Calderini, Dizionario dei nomi geografici e topografici dell'Egitto Greco-Romano, Cairo-Madrid-Milano 1935-1987, s.v. "Pelousion", 120-121.
Tabula Imperii Romani. Iudaea - Palaestina (Jerusalem 1994) s.v. "Pelusion", 200-201.
Map Section 10 Place Sources