Ascalon, Gaza, Negev and Sinai
122. Sycomazon - (Kh. Suq Mazin)
This village attested in Byzantine administrative texts and in the Jerusalem Targum, is identical with Hirbat Suq Mazin, about 11 km southwest of Gaza. Hirbat. Suq Mazin mentioned as a city by Hierocles (719,3) and Georgius Cyprius (1022); its aramaic form occurs in the Targum Yerushalmi to Numbers XXXIV, 15.
Avi-Yonah, The Madaba Mosaic Map, Jerusalem 1954, 74
Bellarmino Bagatti (Ancient Christian Villages of Judaea and Negev, Jerusalem - in the press)
Suq Mazen, Sycomazon
As Reland notes (p. 1021), Sycomazon is known only from the fifth century; in fact, its bishop Aianes subscribed to the Council of Ephesus in 431. Dionysius attended the second Council of Ephesus in 449, Alpheus was at the synod of Jerusalem in 518, and Basil at Jerusalem in 536.
The ancient town was identified with Suq Mazen, apparently because of its name, by Father Abel (Géographie, p. 200). It is found south of Deir el-Balah and is a place of secondary importance.
For more sources and bibliography see:
Tabula Imperii Romani. Iudaea - Palaestina (Jerusalem 1994) s.v. "Sycomazon", 238.
Map Section 9 Place Sources