Place of the Arabah
and the Negev
A third Roman-Byzantine military post, mentioned in the so called Beersheba edict. It is probably to be identified with ruins in the area of Moya 'Awadi, about 32 km west-southwest of Fenan. No Byzantine remains have as yet been found there.
[Donner, H.: The Mosaic Map of Madaba, Pharos 1992, 69 n. 96]
Rudolph Cohen, in "Notes and News", IEJ 32(1982)164-165
Mo'a (Arabic: Kh. Maiyat 'Awad) is situated near Nahal 'Omer in the central 'Arabah (map ref. 1654 9947). It was first surveyed in 1933 by F. Frank. He distinguished the exact ground plan of the principal building, which he described as a Roman castellum, and noted additional structures on hills to the east and west. He proposed the identification of the site with Asuada, referred to in the Notitia Dignitatum (early fourth century C.E.). Abel and Avi-Yonah proposed the identification of Maiyat 'Awad with Mo'a, which appears on the Madaba map... Mo'a was clearly an important way-station on the road from Petra to Gaza, and consisted of a number of building units. Agricultural terraces were surveyed over a wide area in its reighbourhood. The finds indicate that it was founded in the third-second centuries B.C.E., reached its zenith during the reign of Aretas IV, and continued to exist even after the Roman annexation of the Nabatean kingdom in 106 C.E., until the end of the third century.
For more sources and bibliography see:
Tabula Imperii Romani. Iudaea - Palaestina (Jerusalem 1994) s.v. "Moa", 188.
Map Section 8 Place Sources