Moab and Edom
27. Tharais (al-'Iraq / 'Ayn Tar'in)
Below the Maiumas, is a valley which empties into the Zared. Two sites are indicated at the foot of the valley: Tharais and Aia. Tharais was identified with Ain Tara'in by Alt (1937: 244) and Musil (1907: 262, n. 4). But the identification with Dhat Ra's by Germer-Durand is more plausible. The site of Dhat Ra's is well known for its two temples, probably of Nabataean origin, a Nabataean-Roman mausoleum, and a large birkeh in the middle of the village. The Roman road passed by Dhat Ra's, Shuqairah and descended to Wadi al-Hasa by Khirbat al-Mudaineh, avoiding al-'Ainah.
Fawzi Zayadine, "The Karak District in the Madaba Map", in The Madaba Map Centenary 1897-1997, Jerusalem 1999, 229-230 (extract)
See also the complete article: The Karak District in the Madaba Map, by Fawzi Zayadine
P. O'Callaghan (Supplément au Dictionnaire de la Bible, ad v. "Madaba", col. 677)
On the south-est of AIA. Clermont-Ganneau proposed the Khirbet Talha, between Kerak and the Dead Sea; this could be still the Ain Ter'ain that however does not seem to be too far in the south, even if there are other opinions, because it is necessary to consider the shortening of the map. Germer-Durand suggested Dhat-Ras, but this hypothesis is less probable. Father Lagrange asked himself whether it could not be THARABATHA, according to Josephus, Antiquités XIV:14-18). (trans. from the French)
Herbert Donner (The Mosaic Map of Madaba, Kampen 1992, 41)
This village, not mentioned in Byzantine sources, is identical with al-'Iraq near 'Ayn Tar'in in the Sel Gudera, 5 km south of Hirbat 'Ay.
For more sources and bibliography see:
F.-M. Abel, Géographie de la Palestine.II (Paris 1938), s.v. "Tharaïs", 181.
Map Section 4 Place Sources