September 29, 2004
BAGHDAD — Two U.S. soldiers have been charged with murder in the death of
an Iraqi civilian, the Army's 1st Cavalry Division said Monday.
A
military statement identified the soldiers as Staff Sgt. Johnny Horne Jr. of
Winston- Salem, N.C., and Staff Sgt. Alban Cardenas of Carson, both from
Company C, 1st Battalion, 41st Infantry Regiment from Ft. Riley, Kan.
The military declined to provide details, saying an investigation was
continuing.
The statement said the alleged incident was not related
to murder charges filed against Sgt. Michael Williams and Spc. Brent May, who
are from the same unit. They were charged in the deaths of three Iraqis, the
military said last week. Williams was also charged with obstruction of justice
and making a false official statement, it said.
About 800 soldiers
from the 1st Battalion, 41st Infantry are serving their second tour in Iraq.
Post spokeswoman Sam Robinson said last week that the unit, part of the 3rd
Brigade, 1st Armored Division, was serving with the 1st Cavalry while in Iraq.