Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
August 11, 2004
BERLIN — Heightened terror alerts and high-profile arrests of suspected
Islamic extremists have international security experts and officials concerned
that the Bush administration's actions could jeopardize investigations into the
Al Qaeda network.
European terrorism analysts acknowledge that the
U.S. and its allies are under threat by Al Qaeda, but some suggest that the
White House is unnecessarily adding to public anxiety with vague and dated
intelligence about possible attacks. Some in Western Europe suspect the
administration is using fear to improve its chances in the November
election.
Terrorism experts say too much publicity about possible plots
and raids of Islamic extremist networks, including the arrest of 13 suspects in
Britain last week, could hurt wider investigations. American politicians have
called for an examination of that contention. Officials in Pakistan reportedly
said Tuesday that Washington's recent disclosure of the arrest of a suspected Al
Qaeda operative, Moham med Naeem Noor Khan, allowed other extremists under
surveillance to disappear.
"It causes a problem. There's no doubt about
that," said Charles Heyman, editor of Jane's World Armies. "The moment you make
any announcement, you tell the other side what you know. As a rule of thumb,
you should keep quiet about what you know."
British security officials
are angry over recent U.S. revelations of terrorist threats and arrests, said
Paul Beaver, an international defense analyst based in London. He said the
attitude among some British intelligence officials was that the "Americans have
a very strange way of thanking their friends, by revealing names of agents,
details of plots and operations."
Along with such criticism, the
administration faces questions at home about how it handles terrorism
investigations and alerts. It insists it hasn't used the alerts to further
Bush's political campaign, but some Democrats disagree.
Sen. Charles E.
Schumer (D-N.Y.) asked the White House, in a lett er to national security
advisor Condoleezza Rice, to explain how Khan's name was made public and whether
the disclosure had jeopardized any investigations.
Rice said over the
weekend that she did not know whether Khan was cooperating with Pakistani
authorities, and she said his name had not been disclosed publicly by the
administration. The administration has tried to find a middle ground between
informing the public and keeping investigations secret, she said.
"We've
tried to strike a balance," Rice said. "We think for the most part we've struck
a balance, but it's indeed a very difficult balance to strike."
Several senior U.S. counterterrorism officials have expressed concern in the
last week about the amount of information leaking out, saying it has begun to
have a direct and negative effect on efforts to round up suspects and gain
insight into any conspirators.
"It is really hurting our efforts in a
very demonstrable way," said one official, who declined to elaborate.
Larry Johnson, a former senior counterterrorism official at the State Department
and CIA, said Tuesday that the leaks were part of a pattern in which the
administration had undercut its own efforts to fight terrorism by divulging
details when doing so was deemed politically advantageous.
The
administration "has a dismal track record in protecting these secrets," said
Johnson, deputy director of the State Department's Office of Counterterrorism
from 1989 to 1993.
"We have now learned, thanks to White House leaks,
that the Al Qaeda operative was being used to help authorities around the world
locate and apprehend other Al Qaeda terrorists," Johnson said, citing reports
that the disclosures "enabled other Al Qaeda operatives to escape."
"Protecting secrets and sources is serious business," he added. "Regrettably,
the Bush administration appears to be putting more emphasis on politicizing
intelligence and the war on terror. That approach threatens our national
security, in my judgmen t."
Officials in Western Europe are reluctant to
speak even off the record on intelligence matters. Most governments here are
more circumspect in announcing possible terrorist threats and are concerned that
Washington is acting too quickly on intelligence that has not been thoroughly
analyzed. Germany, France and Britain have not raised their terror alerts
during the August vacation season.
"The Code Orange disaster in the U.S.
last week was quickly followed by raids in Pakistan and arrests in Britain,
which all help the Bush administration show there is a global terrorist
network," said Kai Hirschmann, deputy director of the Institute for Terrorism
Research in Essen, Germany. "But I think there's a bit of politics behind
it.
"What makes it complex is that we know there are dangers out there,
and that makes it difficult to tell fact from fiction," he said. "With all this
media attention, one has to wonder what else is at work."
But other
countries, such as Italy, one of the cl osest U.S. allies on Iraq, have
followed Washington's lead. Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's government has
issued numerous terrorist warnings. Thousands of extra Italian police have been
deployed after threats on an Islamic website said terrorists would strike if
Rome did not withdraw its troops from Iraq by Aug. 15.
Europeans
discovered in March that terrorists like to attack at symbolic times: The
Madrid train bombings that killed 191 people sent a shudder through the
continent just days before Spanish elections. But skepticism toward Washington
means many in Europe are wondering if the threats recently reported in the U.S.
are genuine or political spin.
In Britain, the recent raids followed
last month's seizure in Pakistan of computer files belonging to Khan. The
disclosure of his arrest and identity allowed some Al Qaeda suspects under
Pakistani surveillance to slip away, officials told Associated Press in
Islamabad, the Pakistani capital.
The files also led to Britain's arrest
of Abu Eisa al Hindi, who U.S. authorities allege was enlisted by Khan to spy
on financial institutions in New York and Washington. Hindi had been under
observation by British security officials for months. There were indications
that the British government, forced to act after Washington's disclosures about
Khan's files, felt stung by the exposure of his sudden arrest.
"It looks
as though there has been some irritation at fairly high levels in both Pakistan
and Britain" over U.S. revelations, said Timothy Garden, a security analyst at
the Royal Institute of International Affairs.
British Home Secretary
David Blunkett, echoing concerns raised by U.S. lawmakers about identifying
suspects, said he would not divulge intelligence to "feed the news frenzy." The
British government, he added, does not want to "undermine in any way our sources
of information or share information which could place investigations in
jeopardy
. We don't want to do or say anything that would prejudice any
trial."
The U.S. has been less forthcoming with intelligence when it
comes to Germany's attempts to prosecute suspected terrorists. It is refusing
to allow alleged Al Qaeda operatives in its custody to testify at a retrial of a
suspected extremist that began Tuesday in Hamburg. Saying it would harm ongoing
intelligence gathering, the U.S. is denying the court access to Ramzi
Binalshibh and Khalid Shaikh Mohammed.
In a letter this week to German
authorities, the State Department said it would provide only unclassified
summaries of interrogations with certain suspects. The decision, German
prosecutors say, jeopardizes the case against Mounir Motassadeq, a Moroccan
accused of having links to the Sept. 11 hijackers. A second Moroccan in
Germany was acquitted this year on similar charges after a judge found he could
not get a fair trial without access to Binalshibh or his interrogation
transcripts.
The Bush administration is "creating an overall tension
that has both tactics and politics around it," Hirschmann said. "When I hear
things about concrete targets such as airports and stock exchanges, I am less
worried something will happen there. You don't publicize things. You don't
communicate what you know through the media."
In Italy, terrorist alerts
have created an atmosphere similar to that in the U.S. The Berlusconi
government and the Italian media have heavily reported threats made by militant
groups to attack the country unless Rome withdraws from Iraq.
In a
front-page editorial last week, La Repubblica said Italy was in a "poisoned
climate." It said the threats had "to be weighed carefully. It would be
irresponsible to ignore them, but it would also [be wrong] to exaggerate
them to create panic and
a psychological war."
Times staff writers Janet Stobart in London, Maria De Cristofaro
in Rome and Josh Meyer in Washington contributed to this report.