Haaretz
Shvat 20, 5766
WARSAW - Poland's Foreign Minister
Stefan Meller on Friday ruled out allowing any Iranian researchers to
examine the scale of the Holocaust committed by the German Nazis on Polish
soil during World War Two.
Meller's remarks came after repeated
denials of the Jewish Holocaust by Iranian officials and their suggestions
that more research is needed to establish the truth about what happened to
European Jews.
"Under no circumstances we should allow something
like that to take place in Poland," Meller told Polish news agency PAP.
"It goes beyond all imaginable norms to question, even discuss or
negotiate the issue."
Polish daily Rzeczpospolita reported on
Friday that Iran wants to send researchers to Poland to examine the scale
of the Nazi crimes during the war.
Some 6 million Jews perished in
the Holocaust, with an estimated 1.1 million killed in gas chambers at
Auschwitz- Birkenau, a death camp set up in German-occupied
Poland.
Last week Iran's ambassador to Lisbon, who in the past
served as a diplomat in Poland, said in an interview on Portuguese radio
that according to his calculations based on a visit to the camp, now a
museum, it would have taken the Nazis 15 years to burn the corpses of 6
million people.