Haaretz
Kislev 25, 5765
Palestinians and
Israelis have agreed in principle to proposals which could serve as the
basis of a comprehensive settlement to the Israeli-Palestinian conmflict,
Egypt's official news agency MENA said on Tuesday.
Egypt's official
news agency said that significant progress had been made in international
efforts to end Israeli-Palestinian violence. But both sides to the
conflict termed talk of a deal premature.
Quoting unidentified
high-level sources, MENA said the steps, including an Israeli-Palestinian
ceasefire, had the support of both the United States and the European
Union.
"High-level sources confirmed an important understanding --
reaching the point of an agreement in principle -- has been completed
between Egypt, Israel, the Palestinians and several active international
parties, America and Europe, regarding a comprehensive settlement to the
Israeli-Palestinian struggle," MENA said.
It said points under
discussion included a Palestinian commitment to stop operations against
Israel and to control Gaza and the West Bank, while Israel would stop
military actions as long as the Palestinian commitment
held.
"(Prime Minister Ariel) Sharon does not find it necessary to
sign a ceasefire agreement until the security and administrative
capabilities of the Palestinian Authority are rebuilt gradually," the
report said.
The understanding could lead to a "comprehensive
solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict," MENA said.
Israel
and Palestinians term report premature
Israel termed the report "a
little premature," but said it would respond positively if militants
ceased attacks.
"There are a few correct elements but it's a
little premature to say there's an agreement," a senior official in Prime
Minister Ariel Sharon's office said. "We will respond positively if on the
other side there will be arrangements for a ceasefire, a cessation of
hostilities."
"However, it should be understood that whatever
arrangement is reached, this is not a substitute for fulfilling the
obligations the Palestinians have taken upon themselves under the road
map," the official said.
Palestinian officials, playing down the
MENA report, said the Palestinian Authority and militants were close to an
understanding on a ceasefire, but more talks were
needed.
Palestinian sources were further quoted as saying that
reports of an Israeli-PA truce agreement were inexact, but gave no further
details.
There was no immediate official comment from Egypt, which
has tried to play the role of mediator in previous efforts to ease
Israeli-Palestinian violence.
There has been a dramatic warming in
Israeli-Egyptian relations in recent days, capped by the release on Sunday
of Israeli Druze Azzam Azzam after eight years in an Egyptian prison on
espionage charges.
Egypt may return ambassador to Tel Aviv
soon
Earlier on Tuesday, MENA, quoting senior Egyptian sources,
reported that Egypt will return its ambassador to Israel in the near
future.
The sources told the news agency on Tuesday that "the new
spirit in relations (between the two countries) opens the door for his
return."
Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed abu Ghreit said prior to
departing for Kuwait that the return of the ambassador is subject to a
decision by Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, and is dependent upon
"Israel responding to Palestinian hopes regarding the peace process."