Haaretz
Kislev 13, 5766
VIENNA - An Austrian court will begin
the trial of British historian David Irving in February on charges of
denying the Holocaust, a court spokesman said on Tuesday.
Irving
was arrested in the southern province of Styria last month under a warrant
issued in 1989 and has since been remanded in custody and charged with
denying the Holocaust, a crime in Austria which carries a sentence of one
to 10 years in prison.
"Irving's trial will take place on Feb. 20
and 21 from 9
A.M. to 4 P.M. (0800-1500 GMT)," said a spokesman for
the Vienna regional court. "I can't say any more on that now," he added.
Irving's Web site said he had been invited by students to address
a university association in Austria. In a message dated Nov. 11, it said
he was on a one-day visit to the Austrian capital.
When driving to
the meeting in Vienna, students noticed
plainclothes detectives
waiting for him, Irving told Austrian weekly magazine News last month. He
changed plans and drove to Graz in the southern province of Styria to
visit one of his publishers. Police stopped him on the motorway and
detained him.