The entrance of the Flagellation Friary -
on its perimeter wall the Second Station
Over a short ramp from the school you come down to the "Via Dolorosa" and find yourself in front of the Franciscan Flagellation Friary, seat of
the Studium Biblicum Franciscanum. Since January 1997 you meet also well armed
Jewish soldiers "guarding" the exit of the Jerusalem archaeological tunnel just
under the ramp. On the wall of the Franciscan Friary the words "II Statio"
locate the second station.
medium sized image (72KB) - large image (208KB)
The Franciscan Chapel of Flagellation
Built in the twelfth century, the Chapel of the Flagellation has suffered many avatars since the pilgrims' reports mention it as a refuse dump, a stable and a weaver's shop. Such profanation did not diminish the pilgrims' piety, many of them felt obliged to fall on their knees before the door of the former sanctuary, which was usually closed. According to a sinister legend current in the 16th century, the interior echoed with the crack of whips, by which, in a sordid cell, those who had whipped Jesus were themselves whipped.
large image (159KB) --- detail (large) (175KB)
The interior of the Flagellation Chapel
The place was only a mound of ruins, when in 1838, it was granted to the Franciscans by Ibrahim Pasha, conqueror of the Turks. Hastily rebuilt in the following year thanks to the generosity of Maximilian of Bavaria, the chapel was entirely restored in 1927-29 by A. Barluzzi, inspired here by the 12th century architecture. The three magnificent stained glass windows in the choir are the work of L. Picchiarini after the design of D. Cambellotti; they represent The Scourging, The Washing of Hands and The Triumph of Barabbas.
large image - left view (238KB) --- large image - right view (248KB)
Detail of the stained glass internal fašade
of the Chapel of Flagellation
This is a dramatic representation of the scourging of Jesus at the hands of the Roman soldiers during his short stay in the hands of the civil authority of Jerusalem.
The internal cloister of the Flagellation Friary
in front of the Flagellation Chapel
Within the walls of the Flagellation Friary, besides the seat of the Studium Biblicum Franciscanum lies also an Archaeological Museum presenting a collection of objects retrieved by the Studium Biblicum Franciscarum in the Christian Sanctuaries of Palestine.
large image (193KB)
An exterior view of the Condemnation Chapel
Pilgrims' accounts fail to mention the second chapel, which today is enclosed by the wall of the Flagellation Friary. Fr. F.M. Abel, professor at the Ecole Biblique, dated the construction from about the time of the truce which Jerusalem enjoyed in the years 1229-1239, and 1243-1244.
medium sized image (40KB) - another exterior view (97KB) - large image (128KB) - detail (large) (166KB)
Another internal view of the Flagellation Chapel
Under the central dome of the Flagellation Chapel, the mosaic on a golden ground representing the "Crown of Thorns pierced by Stars".
Another view of the Condemnation Chapel
The history of this chapel which has three naves and three apses appears to be very obscure right up to near the end of the 18th century. For Oriental Christians its ruins were those of the house of Caiaphas, while a local tradition linked them to the memory of the imposition of the cross. The debris and the rubbish piled up at this place gave rise to a legend according to which, the earth cleared away from Calvary at th time of the discovery of the Holy Cross, had been brought to this spot.
Inside the Condemnation Chapel
The chapel built in 1903-04 by a Franciscan architect, Br. Wendelin of Menden, commemorates both the condemnation and the imposition of the cross. Placed on its outside wall is the number of the Second Station, which before 1914 was located in front of the walled up barracks gate. The floor of the chapel is made of large paving stones some of which show grooves and games cut into the stone, just as on many Roman pavements. This floor extends to the north of the building as far as the stone museum of the Franciscans and the neighbouring Convent of the Sisters of Zion. It is generally considered to be the "Lithostratos of John" but probably dates back to the Aelia Capitolina of Hadrian.
medium sized image (45KB) - large image (141KB)
© copyright 2001. Reflections, prayers and descriptive text
by John Abela ofm edited by Michael Olteanu
based on research by Albert Storm (SBF - Jerusalem)
Hi-Res pictures prepared by Michael Olteanu
Display pictures prepared by John Abela ofm
Please fill in our Guest book form -
Thank you for supporting us!
Created / Updated Sunday, January 6, 2002
by John Abela ofm
Space by courtesy of Christus Rex
Christus Rex et Redemptor Mundi
Christus Rex et Redemptor Mundi, a private, non-profit organization and its Executive Director Michael Olteanu are solely responsible for the design of this server, for generating all images and commentaries. They should not be construed as being endorsed by or as being representative of the official position of the Holy See or any agency thereof.
Access Statistics: summary or complete report for last week -
Reports for previous weeks. - Awards
Comments and problem reports to Michael Olteanu. -
© The Franciscans of the Holy Land and Malta